PAGES

singing in the new year.

Friday, January 6, 2012

What better way to start the New Year than posting about our "New Years." I must admit, I was a bit skeptical about this trip. The past couple New Year's Eves that the hubs and I have spent together, we have always gone to the beach with friends. You can't beat that kind of fun. There is something about familiarity that makes me all warm inside. Unfamiliarity, not so much. So the fact that we were headed to a secluded hunting plantation, knowing only one soul, didn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling I was hoping for. However, as soon as we pulled onto the dirt road and the barn, cabins, sawtooth oaks, pond, and cookhouse became visible, and four adorable labs came running alongside the truck with excitement, my apprehension for the weekend began to change. Fast.

Pulling in. 



The barn.


This was, by far, the best trip that John and I have taken together in a long time. Our cabin was quaint and cozy.


Each morning I would wake to a fire burning in the fireplace—the perfect place to spend reading my morning devotional. We weren't on a schedule, which was so incredibly relaxing. If you wanted to stroll into the cookhouse at 8:00 or 11:00 you could still count on Ms. Dot to be standing in the kitchen ready to prepare a breakfast fit for kings.

The cookhouse.

Our first night at SP, we dined on HOMEMADE fried chicken (my mouth is salivating at the thought). The next morning we had eggs, bacon, grits, fresh fruit, and toast with homemade pear jam. For lunch? Grilled cheese sandwiches with homemade tomato soup with rice. Delish. What I loved most about each meal is that it we were crowded around the cookhouse table in good company. I can now call John and his daughter, Michael Ann, Christy and Clayton Bromberg, Kelli Kelly, Gabe and his wife Kristy, Whitney Dunn (yes, as in Ronnie Dunn's daughter) and her boyfriend Bo, friends. Everyone was so sweet and down to earth. We had so much fun together and I truly enjoyed their fellowship.



Before going hunting on Saturday.

New Year's Eve was a night to remember. At 7:00 we all met at John's personal home for hors d'oeuvres and champagne—caviar and foie gras to be exact. We sat by the fire and watched Auburn play (WAR EAGLE!) until dinner was served at 9:00. And boy oh boy was it divine. Roast beef with mushroom au jus, asparagus, scalloped potatoes, the most amazing fresh salad that my palette has ever tasted, bread, and homemade pecan pie with vanilla icecream for dessert. Need I go on about the food? I could, but I won't. 


We then ventured across the pond to the HUGE bonfire that took all afternoon to construct. As the clock ticked closer to midnight, we headed back over to the cookhouse for more champagne and music—the perfect way to ring in the New Year.

John and Christy.
Me and Kelli Kelly.


John and Bo.
Bo and Whitney.

John and Kelli.

And that's when the fun really began...karaoke. I had a microphone in my hand until almost 3:00. For those of you who know me, this does not surprise you one bit. On the way back to the cabin that night I asked John over and over for a karaoke machine for my birthday or anniversary. In reply, I got a big fat N-O and he later told me that the only place where I am allowed to karaoke is Sawtooth.

Gabe was actually good...
Me, not so much.




When I wasn't singing, I was dancing. Clayton was good too. 





My solo.


So, here's to many more trips to the greatest hunting plantation in the state of Alabama for good times, great company, amazing food, top notch hunting...and, of course, karaoke.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Especially the picture of you singing your solo.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code