PAGES

finger lickin' good.

Monday, January 16, 2012

To all you hunting wives out there who have a freezer crammed full of deer meat like I do, I have a recipe to share with you that is sure to please the hubby's palate. Last week I went on a mad search for easy, yet delicious venison recipes and stumbled upon a recipe for "Venison Scaloppini." Holy deliciousness it was goooood. John has been ranting and raving about it ever since and can't wait to pass it along to his hunting buddies this weekend...it's too good not to share! Without further ado, get your pen and paper out and jot down this piece of foodie heaven:

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/3 cup light cream
1 cup fine bread crumbs (I used panko bread crumbs)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (I omitted this because I didn't have any)
1 1/2 pounds boneless venison roast (I actually used 6 butterfly steaks)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour for dredging
1/4 cup butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry sherry or Marsala wine (I doubled and used 1 cup)
1/2 cup venison broth, beef broth, or water (I used beef broth and doubled and used 1 cup)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Stir together the eggs and cream, and set aside. Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and parsley in a large bowl; set aside.
3. Slice venison roast into serving size portions, 3/8 inch thick (I just separated each butterfly steak on a piece of wax paper). Pound with meat mallet to about 1/4 inch thickness. Season to fast with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour, shaking off the excess. Dip the venison into the egg, then press into the bread crumbs.
4. Melt the butter in an oven-safe frying pan with lid. Cook garlic until fragrant, then add the breaded venison, and cook on both sides until browned. Pour in sherry (or Marsala wine) and broth. Bring to a simmer, cover, then transfer to the oven and bake until the venison is tender, about 45 minutes (I actually only baked the steaks for 20 minutes and they turned out PERFECT).

I served the venison with egg noodles and poured the remaining sauce concoction on top. Serve with your vegetable of choice and a crusty bread and prepare yourself for praises! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code