PAGES

chalkboard.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Okay, so do you remember when I mentioned I started another special project a couple of weeks ago? Well, I finally finished it on Saturday. I'm not really sure what inspired this project. It was a simple random thought that seemed easy and attainable, so why not give it a go?

With the white walls and white doors throughout the condo, we decided to spice it up a bit by adding a chalkboard to the laundry closet door in the kitchen. Instead of buying a chalkboard, we opted to paint a panel of the door with chalkboard paint, make a frame out of scrap wood, and paint it the color of the door to blend in. Two weekends ago, John applied the chalkboard paint and put the frame up, but we were sans door paint. Last week I finally went to Sherwin Williams to pick up the paint to finish up the chalkboard. If anyone is interested in the trim color, it is actually Benjamin Moore's Grand Teton White (semi-gloss) and the walls throughout the condo are Grand Teton White, as well, in a flat. Not really sure why Hallman Hill directed me to Sherwin Williams, but they knew exactly what I was talking about!

John went to the hunting club on Saturday so I figured it was an opportune time to paint the frame. Three coats later, mission accomplished.

BEFORE

FIRST COAT OF CHALKBOARD PAINT
Hubby hard at work. Goose in awe.
Goose now wanting in on the action.

FRAME COMPLETE

In dire need of some paint.

FIRST COAT OF PAINT

SECOND COAT OF PAINT

THIRD COAT OF PAINT

and...VOILA! 
THE FINISHED RESULT
I used a tin from the wedding to house the chalk.

I am so happy with how the chalkboard turned out. It adds a lot of warmth to the space and is so convenient when making grocery lists, jotting down quick notes, and personalizing the space. I don't mind one bit that it's permanent! 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I am trying to find somewhere in my house to us your great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code